Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Fleer Greats of the Game, 2006

Over the next two days I'm going to take a look at one of my very favorite teams sets, from Fleer's Greats of the Game, 2006.

Fleer first introduced this brand in 2000 and then issued the set four more times through 2006. The first release included only one Cub, Fergie Jenkins. The next few saw between three and six Cubs. But when the 2006 set was released, it included a whopping ten Cubs. There were only 100 cards in the set, so for one team to have 10% of the players seems pretty high. Usually it's a New York team that would dominate a set.

Even better than the fact that there were ten Cubs, was that they are all players that I have seen play personally. No Rogers Hornsby or Hack Wilson here. Instead the list included Ernie Banks, Andre Dawson, Mark Grace, Randy Hundley, Fergie Jenkins, Gary Matthews, Ryne Sandberg, Ron Santo, Bruce Sutter, and Billy Williams.

That's a great list; six Hall of Famers, one near HOF, and the other three are among my favorite players. I've already blogged about the Cubs Greats subset and relics. Today, I'd like to look at the base cards and parallels. Along with the base set there are two parallels, gold (which are numbered to 299) and pewter. Because I liked the set so much, I decided to get all three variations. They look very nice side by side on a binder page.

So here they are. The top row contains the year cards that I make for many of my sets, and then the players follow in alphabetical order.






The only disappointment for me are the black and white cards for Banks and Sutter. For Banks I can somewhat understand it, since he played in an era of mostly B&W pictures. But Sutter? Surely there were some color pictures of him in his Cubs uniform available!

Make sure you check back tomorrow, for one of the cornerstones of my collection, compliments of 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game.

1 comment:

  1. I love this set as well, and your custom index cards are fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete