Thursday, February 19, 2015

Javier Baez Sparkle Card

It's a gimmick I'm kinda tired of, the short-print sparkle variation cards.  

But I'm an all-in team collector, so I feel the need to get the Cubs sparkles.

Here is the second of three Cubs I need...



...Javier Baez.



The sparkle was put in a most unusual place.  

Now remember, this is Javier Baez' card.  Yet the sparkle is not on Javier Baez.  It's on Randal Grichuk's helmet.  I don't think I've seen a sparkle not on the featured player.  Very odd.

One thing I've noticed this year is that there don't seem to be as many sparkle cards available, which means they're costing more, too.

Right now there aren't any Baez cards listed on Ebay.  Just two weeks after release and the market has dried up.  A check of the sold listings brings up just seven cards.  The Starlin Castro card has a similar story.  There are five listed right now and six were sold, a total of eleven cards.

I emailed Brentandbecca to see how many sparkle cards he pulled.  He found 37 sparkle cards in his 75 hobby cases and  got shut out in two retail cases.  Based on the numbers from this post, that is 37 sparkles out of 235,872 cards.  Those are some pretty long odds!

He said that based on past years numbers and this year's odds, he figures there are 100 of each sparkle card.  With only 10% showing up on Ebay at this point, I wonder where the rest are?

No comments:

Post a Comment