Friday, December 15, 2017

Rule 5 - No Harm, No Foul

The winter meetings wrapped up yesterday with the Rule 5 draft.

The Cubs didn't make a single selection, nothing in either the Major League draft nor the AAA draft.

Four of their unprotected prospects were taken:


  • In round two of the Major League draft, the Orioles took right handed pitcher Pedro Araujo.
  • In round one of the AAA draft, the Mets took second baseman Andrew Ely and the Astros took lefty pitcher Chris Nunn.
  • In round two of the AAA draft, the Blue Jays selected catcher Alberto Mineo.


And just how highly touted were these now-former Cubs prospects?

Typically, the better prospect have cards in sets like Bowman, Pro Debut, and Heritage Minors.  I put together a tile of all of the cards of these four former Cubs:



I don't have a single card of any of them.  I think it is safe to say that the Cubs didn't lose much, if anything.  Time will tell.  But for now, no harm, no foul.

4 comments:

  1. Araujo has some filthy stuff, played in the AZ Fall League as a closer and had a SO/BB ratio over 4.5 this year in the minors. I was hoping he would provide AAA bullpen depth in 2018. I think he'll stick in the O's bullpen and never come back though. He's the one I'm most disappointed to see move on.
    I'm curious as to why he was sent to AZ Fall League... which is basically a showcase of up and coming talent for all of the scouting world to see, because there's not much else baseball being played at that time. Theo and Jed basically said. "Look at this guy! We can't protect him and he would make a fine addition to any bullpen through the Rule V draft!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't he an injury replacement for Oscar de la Cruz? Granted, I still don't get it; but, perhaps that wasn't their original plan?

      Delete
  2. He may have been a replacement. IDK.
    I guess letting him float means they protected better options? I'm sure that's the case, so I suppose I should be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw both Mineo and Ely play in South Bend and both had their days, but I don't know that either was approaching the level of a Jimenez, Torres or Cease that the Cubs let go. A lot of the offseason minor league maneuvering seems like shooting fish in a barrel sometimes, but that's why the GMs are in the positions that they are.

    ReplyDelete