Thursday, April 26, 2018

Blog Bat Around: My All-Autograph Team


Torren' Up Cards has come up with the latest Blog Bat Around, to cfreate your All Autograph Team.  I'm ready to take a swing!

First, as you'd probably expect, this team is pure Cubs.  I've got no interest in chasing autographs of players from any other team.  For the most part I picked my team based on talent.  There are seven Hall of Famers on the team and I couldn't really leave them off.  I did make a couple picked based more on my heart instead of head.  Since it's my team, I'm allowed to do that!

Here we go, starting with THE OUTFIELD


Left Field - Billy Williams


Center Field - Jose Cardenal


Right Field - Andre Dawson

Left and right were HOFers.  Center field was not easy as the Cubs have rarely had a decent center fielder.  I went with Jose as more of a heart pick.
Honorable Mention - Dave Kingman, Dexter Fowler, Kyle Schwarber, Gary Matthew, Sammy Sosa, Alfonso Soriano

Next it's on to THE INFIELD


Third Base - Ron Santo
Honorable Mention - Bill Madlock, Aramis Ramirez, Kris Bryant


Shortstop - Ernie Banks
Honorable Mention - Don Kessinger, Shawon Dunston, Starlin Castro, Addison Russell


Second Base - Ryne Sandberg
Honorable Mention - Glenn Beckert, Manny Trillo, Javier Baez, and Darwin Barney


First Base - Bill Buckner
Honorable Mention - Phil Cavaretta, Mark Grace. Derrek Lee, Leon Durham, Anthony Rizzo
Three of the four infielders are HOFers, so they were pretty automatic.  Buckner is a heart choice.  I could have put Banks at first, or DLee, or Rizzo, but Billy Buck won out


Catcher - Jody Davis
Honorable Mention - Randy Hundley, Michael Barrett, Geovany Soto, Willson Contreras
Catching has been pretty thin over the years.  Jody probably had the longest run of good play behind the plate, giving him the nod.


Pinch Hitter - Kris Bryant
The best of the position player honorable mentions was going to go here and giving Bryant the job.

The final category would be THE PITCHERS


Starting Pitcher - Fergie Jenkins
Honorable Mention - Jake Arrieta, RIck Reuschel, Ken Holtzman, Rick Sutcliffe, Greg Maddux, Kerry Wood
I had to pick from two HOFer who both wore #31.  Fergie got the start because his best years were with the Cubs

 


Relief Pitchers - Lee Smith, Phil Regan
Closer - Bruce Sutter
Honorable mention - Aroldis Chapman, CJ Edwards, WIllie Hernandez, Randy Myers

Though all three are closers, I put Sutter in that role since he is in Cooperstown.

There you have the Wrigley Wax All Autograph team.  What do you think??

3 comments:

  1. Way to kick things off. That Billy Williams is sweet! I also love the trio of Topps Archives Fan Favorites autographs that appear on your roster. I'm also really jealous of that Santo signature. He's the one Cub signature that has somehow avoided my collection all of these years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Fuji. The Santo is really nice. I have one, but it's on a White Sox card. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No arguments. The on-card Billy Williams is nice. He has a lot of stickers out there. At least most of mine are. Love the SI covers.

    ReplyDelete