Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Five Years Worth of Topps Holiday Cards

 This year marks the fifth for the Holiday set.  I thought it would be interesting to see how the look of the cards has evolved over the five years.




The first three sets, 2015 - 2017 did nothing more than add snowflakes to the flagship.  


Topps got a bit more festive in 2019 as the snowflakes were replaced with holly.  Holly was also added to the border and the font colors were just red and green.


The snowflakes returned in 2020.  My opinion is that there should always be snowflakes.  Branch trimmings were added to the name banners and green and red was used.  I think the 2020 design is the best yet.  It's nice to see Topps improving.


3 comments:

  1. I still like the 2019 design more. I think they could have extended the tree trimming all the way up the 2020 card. Still, I love that Topps is trying. I never gave a second thought about those first three sets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2019 is by far the best. 2020 is basically putting lipstick on a pig. You can't fix ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.K. is looks like some collectors including me think 2019 is better. I think it also stems from the fact that 2019 is a better design than 2020 (of course 2018 is the best design of the last 5 years).

    But I just happened to take a look at your blog archive, You are the Cal Ripken/Lou Gehrig of Sports Card Blogging. Look at those numbers - posts between 358 to 368 a year from 2011-2020. Talk about consistency.

    ReplyDelete