Sunday, November 13, 2022

Five Random Cubs Cards

 I've got 20,776 Cubs cards from 305 different brands listed on a spreadsheet. A random number generator picked five cards, one each from the past several decades.


1900s - 1970s: 1962 Topps #458 Bob Buhl (Logo Visible)  Buhl was traded by the Braves to the Cubs on April 30.  His card is in the sixth series, so Topps had time to change the team name.  They forgot to aribrush his hat, so we end up with a Milwaukee Cub.  They did later fix the mistake.  The card with the M is the scarcer of the two.



1980s: 1980 Baseball Legends #20 Rogers Hornsby  Great movie quote from A League of  Their Own: Rogers Hornsby was my manager, and he called me a talking pile of pigxxxx. And that was when my parents drove all the way down from Michigan to see me play the game. And did I cry?  No, No.  And do you know why?  Because there's no crying in baseball.


1990s: 1997 Team Issued Kevin Orie  This card is from a set given to the first 10,000 fans that attended the Cubs game on August 7.  Orie was 1-4 that day with an RBI as the Cubs beat the Giants 6-2.


2000s: 2001 Opening Day #99 Mark Grace  This Opening Day card would have been a sad reminder that the 2001 Cubs Opening Day lineup did not include Mark Grace for the first time since 1988.


2010s: 2010 National Chicle NCR #AS Alfonso Soriano  I picked up the relic cards from this set for reasons that I don't recall.

No comments:

Post a Comment