Thursday, April 9, 2009

WalMart Variation, Early Versions

No, I wasn't playing around with Photoshop. These are real cards!

I like the look of the black WalMart cards. I wouldn't want an entire set of them, but the ten Cubs cards look nice.

I was paging through some older sets and found cards that mimic the WalMart cards. I guess the concept isn't as new as any of you may have thought, although these earlier cards were done inadvertently.

The earliest I could find is this 1976 Nolan Ryan.



Next, this 1981 Topps card of Bob Forsch



Here is a card from 1982 featuring current White Sox radio play by play announce Ed Farmer. (And if any of you have ever heard him do a game, it is not good!)




This card is from 1983 and features Dan Schatzeder, who was raised in the western suburbs of Chicago. Dan is now a teacher at Waubonsie Valley High School in Aurora, IL.



From 1984 featuring soon-to-be Cubs pitcher Rick Sutcliffe



And one more, from 1985 Sox slugger Ron Kittle

No comments:

Post a Comment