Saturday, June 13, 2009

World Champion Chicago Cubs...

Well, its only been 100 years since that could be said, but, you know, any team could have a bad century.

I don't know if I will ever be able to put my hands on cards that belong to the world champion Chicago Cubs, so I went ahead and created my own.

Using the 2009 Topps design as the template, here is the starting infield of the 1908 World Champion Chicago Cubs. Three of the four are well known and in the Hall of Fame. It was this poem by New York Evening Mail columnist Franklin Adams that immortalized them:

These are the saddest of possible words:
"Tinker to Evers to Chance."
Trio of bear cubs, and fleeter than birds,
Tinker and Evers and Chance.
Ruthlessly pricking our gonfalon bubble,
Making a Giant hit into a double –
Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble:
"Tinker to Evers to Chance."



First Baseman and team manager, the Peerless Leader, Frank Chance.



Second Baseman Johnny Evers (pronounced EEEvers, with a long E)



Shortstop Joe Tinker



And the forgotten man of the group, the starting third baseman with a less than poetic name, Harry Steinfeldt.


This is the first time I have ever used colorizing software, so please excuse the crudeness of the color. I plan to add more players to the 1908 set, so I hope to also improve my colorization technique along the way.


8 comments:

  1. Wow, those are fantastic! I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work---these are nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look like the short-prints in the 2009 Topps set. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What software are using to do this spectacular cards?

    go cubs

    cubvic

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm using a program called "Recolored."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cards...looking forward to the rest of the set.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great! I need to look into this Recolored program . . .

    ReplyDelete