Monday, October 24, 2011

1970 Glenn Beckert Scratchoff

I've been gradually picking up some of the inserts from Topps sets of the late '60s and early '70s.


This is a Scratch Off card from 1970 that features Cubs second baseman Glenn Beckert. There were only 24 of these in the set, with one player per team. It's interesting that Topps picked Beckert as the Cubs player. As far as star ranking on the team, he would probably rank 5th or 6th, behind Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Ron Santo, and Fergie Jenkins.

I do remember getting these, but I don't think I ever had the Beckert card.



The game on the inside was pretty simple. You would just scratch off a square and keep track of what happened. Each player had his own card, and you hoped you scratched off enough hits to score a run before you scratched three outs.



There are 44 plays on the card. I counted the different results:

There were 27 out squares:
7 - Strike Out
7 - Ground Out
6 - Fly Out
3 - Foul Out
3 - Double Play
1- Sacrifice

Players reached base on 17 of the squares
8 - Single
3 - Double
1- Triple
2 - Home Run
1 - Error
2 - Walk

This is the only one of these cards that I've got so I'm not able to check, but I'd guess that each card had 27 outs on it....you need that many for a complete game. I wonder if some had a different number of singles, doubles, triples, and homers. Anyone else got one of these to check?

No comments:

Post a Comment