Wednesday, July 3, 2019

52 More Items from the HOF Gift Shop


I made my final 52 purchases in this section of the Hall of Fame's gift shop - the post card section.  For years the HOF has made these yellow postcards featuring the plaques of all of the inductees.  I've thought about getting a Cubs set, but never got around to it.  My trip to Cooperstown inspired my to go ahead.

The Cubs website has a list of 50 Cub Hall of Famers.  Other sites I found have 51.  It appears that the Cubs site omitted Frank Selee.

But I ended up buying 52 postcards.  The extra I added was...


...Bill Veeck.  I decided to include the guy who planted the ivy at Wrigley Field.  I think that's a pretty good connection for inclusion on the list.

Some on the list were life-long Cubs.  Others were with the team just briefly.


These are the postcards, in alphabetical order.  They are:
Pete Alexander
Cap Anson
Richie Ashburn
Ernie Banks
Lou Boudreau
Roger Bresnahan
Lou Brock
Mordecai Brown

Frank Chance
John Clarkson
Kiki Cuyler
Andre Dawson
Dizzy Dean
Hugh Duffy
Leo Durocher
Dennis Eckersley

Johnny Evers
Jimmie Foxx
Frankie Frisch
Rich Gossage
Clark Griffith
Burleigh Grimes
Gabby Hartnett
Billy Herman

Rogers Hornsby
William Hulbert
Monte Irvin
Fergie Jenkins
George Kelly
King Kelly
Ralph Kiner
Chuck Klein

Tony LaRussa
Tony Lazzeri
Freddie Lindstrom
Greg Maddux
Rabbit Maranville
Joe McCarthy
Hank O'Day
Robin Roberts

Ryne Sandberg
Ron Santo
Frank Selee
Al Spalding
Bruce Sutter
Joe Tinker
Bill Veeck
Rube Waddell

Deacon White
Hoyt Wilhelm
Billy Williams
Hack Wilson


7 comments:

  1. Nice!

    Now, I'm curious...what was the cashier's reaction to you bringing up 50 of the postcards. Did they react like it was unusual to see so many? And did they figure out the Cubs connection, or ask if there was a common theme in the postcards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She didn't even count them - she just asked me how many I had. I'm guessing it must happen often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I thought for sure it was a deck of cards, but the postcards are a most excellent purchase! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ended up with a more random selection of postcards, some Brewers, the original HOF class, and a few others like Griffey Jr. The place is amazing and could spend days checking it out. Is the exhibit for baseball cards open yet? When I was there they had the spots where the 2018 class plaques would go, but were not up yet, however the players had autographed the wall behind where the plaques would go. Thought that was a nice hidden gem to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw the same thing last year. I never knew they did that. I thought it was an interesying touch.

      Delete
  5. Holy cow! There are 52 Cubs in Cooperstown? That's crazy. I so want to walk around that gift shop and pick up a few of these post cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went through the gift shop and bought all the postcards with Dodger connections. It wasn't anywhere near 52. I'm now thinking I must've missed a few.

    ReplyDelete