Saturday, July 23, 2022

Sixties Saturday - 1960 Leaf

 in 1960, Leaf put out their first baseball set in eleven.  This one came out in competition with Topps.  To avoid legal trouble, the packs didn't have gum, but instead, a marble.  Really, a marble!



I don't think those packs stacked up very well in a box.

The checklist consists of 144 cards issued in two series.  The second series, #73-144, are scarce.  There are eleven Cubs in the set, including seven in the second series.  Only a couple of the second series were priced pretty high.  I decided to treat myself.

The cards themselves are very plain looking.  They have a black and white picture, and the player's name, position, and team are printed in black.  There is no color.

Also missing from the set is the Cubs biggest star in 1960, Ernie Banks.  I'm guessing that there were several star players that Leaf couldn't sign.











2 comments:

  1. Marbles are interesting. My father used to tell me how much he enjoyed playing marbles with his friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That card design was so unique for its time - love how lightened the area around the players head - almost like a religious look

    ReplyDelete