Friday, May 8, 2009

The Other Half

So often we focus so much on what's on the front of a card that we miss some interesting things on the back.

I was reminded of that as I was going through my Leaf cards.



The 1993 cards look like this on the front. It is a typical no border card, nothing terrible, but nothing to write home about.

But for some reason the back really caught my eye. Four different pictures are used in the background, each featuring Chicago scenes.



This Steve Buechele card had a picture of Buckingham Fountain, which is in Grant Park on the lakefront. It is the same fountain featured in the opening sequence of "Married With Children." The fountain is pretty impressive at night, with various lights and all.



On Jose Guzman's card we see two of Chicago's skyscrapers in the background, the John Hancock Building on the left and the Sears Tower on the right. Both buildings have observatories at the top. The Sears Tower is making a very interesting addition to their sky deck.



Over Mark Grace's shoulder we have another view of the Sears Tower. At the time these cards were made the Sears Tower was the world's tallest building. It has since lost its world crown, but remains the tallest building in North America.



Randy Myers' card gives us a look north on Michigan Avenue. The two tall buildings have a Cubs connection. The building on the left is the Wrigley Building, headquarters for the gum company and former owners of the Cubs. On the right is the Tribune Tower, headquarters for the Cubs' current (at least for a month or two) owner, Tribune Company. One picture sums up nearly 90 years of ownership.

These are the only cards from the set I have. What landmarks are featured on the cards from other teams? And what about the White Sox? Did they use the same Chicago pictures or different ones?

6 comments:

  1. They used the same pictures as on the Cubs cards. I don't have a full set, but from what I do have they used the Sears Tower more than any other for the White Sox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some very interesting backs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always liked this set for the backs. The Red Sox cards have some cool shots of downtown Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like they used two background shots for the Phillies. The Liberty Bell and Philadelphia City Hall. 1993 Leaf are one of my favorite card sets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, my curiosity got the best of me and I need to know what is on the backs of all the cards! A quick trip to ebay, and for less than $20 shipped, a complete set of 550 Leaf 1993 cards are coming my way. I think these could make for some interesting posts.

    ReplyDelete