Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sunday Cubs Fact: Most Recent Triple Play

According to SABR, there have been 675 triple plays in the major leagues from 1876 to the present. The Giants lead all franchises with 42 triple plays and the Cubs are second with 40. More triple plays (23) have been pulled off at Wrigley Field than at any other ball park in MLB history.

The last Cubs triple play was almost twelve years ago, on May 10, 1997, in the bottom of the fifth inning against the Giants at Candlestick Park.




Cubs pitcher Amaury Telemaco gave up back to back singles to start the inning. On a 1-2 count Giants batter Stan Javier hits a flyball that is caught by...



centerfielder Brian McRae for one out. The runner at second tags up and tries to make it to third but a nice throw from McRae to...



third baseman Jose Hernandez nails the runner for out number two. Meanwhile the runner on first decides to try and take second. A quick throw from Hernandez to...



Ryne Sandberg gets the runner at second and the Cubs have their triple play. For those of you scoring at home, that was an 8-5-4 triple play.

In a couple strange coincidences, the next most recent Cubs triple play was also against the Giants, in 1986. And the Cubs prior four triple plays, going back to 1965, were all against the Pirates. Their six most recent triple plays against only two team. Strange. But then again, I would expect nothing less from the Cubs.

5 comments:

  1. Where did you get those facts? I'm not saying your wrong, but I remember seeing the Cubs turn one against the Brewers in Milwaukee and later that year the Brewers turned one against Cubs at Wrigley. I don't know for sure what year but I think it was supposed to be the last year of the old County Stadium but they ended up playing another year there. I'll do some digging because I'm pretty sure I still have the scorecards. I might have just made all that up though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind. I dug deeper and I was present for the Brewers vs Cubs triple play, and I must of dreamed up the other up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad took me to a Cubs game in the 60's where I saw a triple play.
    Can you provide dates and details about
    Wrigley Field during the 60's ?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete