Thursday, August 2, 2012

2012 Ginter Cubs Inserts and Relics

Yesterday I took a look at the nine Cubs Ginter cards.  Today, I've got the inserts and relics.  Between the two there are eleven more cards.  Does it seem wrong that there are more extra Cubs than base, eleven compared to only nine.  Sure seems wrong to me!


Up first is Starlin Castro from the "What's in a Name" set.  Did you know that his middle name is "DeJesus"?  I didn't.  I also didn't know that Castro's dad was a fan of...


...Stan Javier, and that's where Starlin's name comes from.  Maybe something got lost in the translation, but I don't see the connection between Stanley and Starlin.  What am I missing?


The other Cub insert is Ryne Sandberg from the Baseball Highlight Sketches set.  His face looks a little pudgy, but otherwise, artist Chris Henderson did a decent job.

Now on to the relics.  I won't rehash the relic stupidity.  I don't think there's much more to add.  I haven't really looked at the relics checklist, so maybe you all can help.  Are there other teams besides the Cubs that got as many (or any) ex-players included?

A couple thoughts about the cards...
...I really like the shiny black borders.  They really make the cards pop.
...up until last year, you could see the relic through the front or back of the card.  I like that feature.  But in 2011 and again in 2012, the back is a blacked out square.  I wonder why the change?

Here are the NINE Cubs relics...






No comments:

Post a Comment