Thursday, February 20, 2020

Trading Card Database


I've been spending a lot of time at the Trading Card Database.  The site has complete checklists for just about every set ever made.  Variations and inserts are included too.  Registering for the site gives you the chance to check off on their lists the cards that you own.

Last weekend was a four-day weekend, so I spent parts of most of the days entering most of my collection into the site.  As of yesterday, I have 101,596 cards cataloged.


That is just what I have up to 2017.  I'll be spending time over the next few days finishing up with my cards up to 2020.   My number isn't quite accurate, though, with my Topps Cubs cards.  I have two of each Topps Cubs base card from 1969 to 2020, one card in the complete set and one in the Cubs binder.  But only one card is logged into the Database list.  The same is true with Fleer and Allen & Ginter, since I have complete sets for each year of those brands.

I wish I knew of the site when I put all of my Cubs team sets together.  It would have been a big help because I'm finding cards here and there that I don't have.  Each time I run across one, I make a quick click to Sportlots and fill in the hole.  I've probably got a couple dozen cards coming.

I also like that the TCDB has pictures of many of the cards.  I can also do a search and find which cards I've entered do not have a picture in the database.  In the future I plan to upload mine to the site.

I will still maintain my Excel sheet of my collection.  The Trading Card Database will be a nice backup.

10 comments:

  1. If you haven't tried the "box" option on Sportlots yet, then I would suggest giving it a tried. It is slower, but also saves on shipping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used it a couple times with mixed results. I had one seller that took over two weeks to send in the items. He said that he was waiting until it was worth his while send in a package.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 101,596 cards? Not sure what's more impressive. The fact that you have that many Cubs cards or that you were able to catalog that many cards. Either way... kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to clarify, the number is not just Cubs card... I’ve got a bunch of complete sets included in that number.

      Delete
  4. I've been a member of the DataBase for ages. Love it. Still don't have much of my vast collection tracked there, but I have some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is my plan too: first complete my card total on excel and then get it added to TCDB. I still don't trust online filing sites to stay forever so as you say, TCDB is a back up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have my collection documented anywhere except for my counts on the blog. Too much data entry. My Redskins printed list that stopped in 2008 is as close as I get. I track what I'm looking for as precisely as possible, but what I have is only in my head.
    Love the Database, though. It's the ultimate reference! I will spend some time soon adding scans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been a member of TCDB for only two years but had been using it for reference purposes much longer than that. It's awesome. I've probably got only about 1% of my cards entered there so far but I'm pressing on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's awesome. I have my Tino and some other collections on site, but don't plan to ever use it as an all-encompassing list. I also enjoy trading on the site.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can indicate when you have two of the same card. You can also break your collection up into "collections" if you wanted to see all your complete sets vs cubs sets vs why do I own this sets.

    ReplyDelete