Wednesday, June 2, 2021

The A-Z Challenge

 Here is my post for Diamond King's A-Z Player Challenge.  The premise is pretty simple: show your favorite player for each of the 26 letters of the alphabet.

I'm going with my favorite Cubs players only... if you didn't wear the blue pinstripes, you don't count!

... a vital member of the 2016 World Series champs.

... I didn't go with Ernie Banks.  Ernie was at the end of his career when I started following the Cubs, but I got to see and appreciated Buckner when he was at the top of his game.

... the fro, man, the fro!

...Dawson was awesome

... this was one of the very first Cubs cards I ever saw, so Earley became an instant favorite to me.

... he notched his spot on my list when he signed my scorecard between games of a double header at Wrigley when I was ten years old

... I like him much better as a player than as a broadcaster.

... a member of the '69 Cubs

...not too many options here

... hard to argue against six 20+ win seasons, the Hall of Fame, and a '69 Cub

... another '69 Cub!

...D Lee!!!

... I forgave him for leaving when he came back to the Cubs in 2004

... he was included in a book I got as a 8-year-old called "Little League to Big League."

... love little Augie!

... a '69 Cub that shares my first name

... makes the list for breaking up Tom Seaver's perfect game in 1969.... stupid Mets!

... he  made the putout that ended game 7

.. a no brainer

... he was a favorite of mine after the '69 team was broken up

...very slim pickings with U so I went with an oddball choice

... his participation in a double no-hitter was good enough for me

... my all-time favorite Cub

... had to go with the first name for the letter X

... one of just 12 Cubs with a Y last name, I went with a '69 Cub

... had the most memorable Cubs hit in my life time

4 comments:

  1. I sense a Cub bias ...

    Agreed on Grace, not a good announcer. The Diamondbacks' main announcing crew used to be Mark Grace and Thom Brennaman! I bet there was a lot of inappropriateness going on in that booth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. Love the Kessinger card -- is that Hostess?

    ReplyDelete