Wednesday, September 22, 2010

1947 Tip Top Bread Cubs

A few months ago I found a seller on ebay who had a reprint of the Cubs team set from the 1947 Tip Top Bread set. I had never heard of these before; in fact I had never heard of Tip Top Bread before. I put the cards on my watch list. Two sets were available via Buy It Now, so I didn't feel the need to grab them any time soon.

Then, last week Vintage Sportcards had a post on the set. If you haven't read it yet, you should check it out. That peaked my curiosity, and I decided to go ahead and buy the cards.

The cards are smaller than today's. They measured 2 ¼" by 3". The fronts featured a black and white photo of the player, while the backs all had the same Tip Top Bread ad. The only difference on the backs was the tag line on the top of the card. All fifteen Cubs feature a different line. I wonder if all 163 cards in the set had a different line? The cards are not numbered. The Standard Catalog just lists all 163 players in alphabetical order.

The 1947 Cubs were just two seasons removed from their National League Championship. Of course, since World War II was over, and players were returning to their teams, that meant the Cubs were going to return to their mediocre ways. The team went 69-85 and finished sixth.

If alphabetical order was good enough for the Standard Catalog, then it is good enough for me.

Here are your 1947 Tip Top Bread Cubs:
































1 comment:

  1. Glad to see I'm contributing to the hobby in an indirect way! Those are great cards from an unerappreciated set.

    ReplyDelete