Friday, September 3, 2010

I Like Ernie and Ryne, But...

I really do like Ernie Banks and Ryne Sandberg. They are among my all-time favorite Cubs. But, I think Topps likes them a little too much.

In looking through this year's base cards and inserts I've got nine new Ernie Banks cards and ten Ryne Sandbergs. That's way more than any active Cub. And that is too many.

So next year, Topps, please add more Jenkins, Williams, Santo, Sutter, Dawson, and Grace. How about a Dave Kingman or Bill Buckner. Heck, even throw in a Sosa or two. But ease back on Banks and Sandberg. Thank you!!

Here are the nine Ernie Banks...Base SP, Tales of the Game, 1954 and 1956 Cards Your Mom Threw Out regular and original back, Series 1 and Series 2 Hat Logo, and Turkey Red.
















The ten Sandberg cards were Base SP, Legendary Lineage, 1983 and 1984 Cards Your Mom Threw Out regular and original back, Series 1 Hat Logo, 1985 All Star Logo, 1989 All Star Logo, and Turkey Red.















5 comments:

  1. Topps probably needed to cool it with Sandberg after they caught themselves digging out photos from that unfortunate '70s-p*rn-star-mustache phase....

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do this with every team. As much as I like them, I'm getting a little sick of new cards of Jackie, Campy, Duke and Pee Wee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for a moritorium on Topps trotting out classic players in modern sets. Just a little break... maybe three years. -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Topp needs to mix it up a little. Instead of the same HOFs and the same photos, how about some of the great players that didn't quite attain enshrinement. You know, the ones that were superstars during their era. Topp could have "Superstars of the 70s" or something like that. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy collecting Ryno cards, but this just adds more and more to list of cards to find. It's nice in a way, but at the same time kind of a pain.

    ReplyDelete