Friday, March 1, 2013

Andre Dawson Silver Slugger

I picked this card up for my Andre Dawson player collection...



...from Topps 2013 Silver Slugger insert set.  This is one of three award inserts (Cy Young and MVPs are the others) that replaced the rings inserts from last year.

The Silver Slugger checklist has 25 different SS winners.  One odd omission is Ryne Sandberg, who won the award seven times, more than any other second baseman in MLB history.  Ryno didn't make the MVP checklist, either.

Dawson won the award four times, in 1980,1981, and 1983 with the Expos and in 1987 while with the Cubs.  Expos fans can't be too happy that Topps shows his as a Cub.  The 1987 season was also his MVP year, but he wasn't included in the MVP.  In fact, none of the Cubs MVP winners were included.

The most striking thing for me with the card is how thick it is.  It's 1/4" thick, which is as thick as a stack of 14 regular cards.  I suppose it needed to be that thick for the silver bat to fit inside.  Luckily for me, I don't keep my player collection in a binder...I don't think I could find a page with pockets thick enough for this one.

2 comments:

  1. My fingers are crossed for Series 2 and Update but my wallet is ok with a light year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done, Paul. Mine is in transit to me as we speak!

    ReplyDelete