Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The 2013 Heritage Inserts

The Cubs showed up in several different insert sets.  I try to get as many as I can, but I have a few guidelines.  When it come to autograph cards, I pass...usually too rich for my blood.  Same with dual relic cards.

But since Heritage first came out in 2001, I've got all the Cubs cards in the single player Clubhouse Collection.  This year, two Cubs were on the checklist...



...Starlin Castro and Matt Garza.  The Castro card looks kinda lame with the pinstripe running horizontal instead of vertical....almost as lame as all the cards look with home plate running horizonal instead of vertical!

Mr. Cub was featured in a couple sets.  The Baseball Flashback...


....references a game in September, 1964, when the Cubs scored 8 runs in the second inning against the Cardinals.  Ernie led off the frame with a home run and later added a two run double.  The Cubs won the game 8-5.  However, the game was in St. Louis, while the card shows Ernie in his home uniform.

He wasn't on the 1964 Bazooka checklist, but Topps included him in...


...it's Heritage version.  This card also has a photo problem...the picture is from 1957. That season is super easy to identify because its the only year the Cubs had white piping on their hats....


...which I've removed in the interest of trying to make the card look like it comes from 1964.


Starlin Castro was the Cubs first New Age Performer since Geovany Soto in the '09 set.



Castro was also included in the mini checklist.  Topps made these tougher by hand numbering them.

The one insert card I'm most interested in is the one I don't have yet.  Billy Williams was finally included on a Heritage checklist, but his card is one of these...


....coin cards that are not cheap.  I'm playing the waiting game right now, but I may not wait too much longer...I'm afraid that I won't see the card again.

1 comment:

  1. Paul- Nice look at everything. I'm gald that someone else took issue with home plate being place in the wrong direction on those relic cards...

    And don't forget about the Andre Dawson & Billy Willimas dual-relic, dual-auto. The won't come cheap...

    ReplyDelete