Sunday, March 31, 2013

Your 2013 Chicago Cubs Starting Lineup

I thought about posting this on Opening Day, then thought better of it.  After all, Opening Day for the Cubs is April 1, and after looking over their lineup, you may have thought that I was just posting some sort of April Fools Joke.

But no, this is actually the real thing.

So here we go, the second year in the Theo rebuild.

OUTFIELD--not pretty at all!


Alfonso Soriano, left field.  He had a surprisingly decent year last season after a really slow start.   Can we expect as good a year this year?  I doubt it.


David DeJesus, center field.  Solid but unspectacular numbers last season, DeJesus is a place holder in center until something better comes along.


Nate Schierholtz, right field.  A career .270 hitter with little power, a guy that's never been a starter for an entire season...that's our right fielder.  Boy, I wish I could say that this was just an April Fools joke.


INFIELD--add Baez in a year, and this could be a solid group for years to come.


Luis Valbuena, third base.  He's filling in for an injured Ian Stewart, who's holding a place until Javier Baez is ready


Starlin Castro, shortstop.  Time for him to really grow up and play to his potential.  He's not a 20-year-old anymore, so that excuse won't cut it any longer.  If he gets his head into the game, we're set.

 

Darwin Barney, second base.  Remain steady with the glove, get the average up a bit, and we are set at second base for the next several seasons.  Barney is the real second baseman, but he won't start on opening day after hurting his knee on Saturday.  Brent Lillibridge will fill in.


Anthony Rizzo, first base.  Please live up to all the hype from the early part of your time with the Cubs!

BATTERY---The Cubs are very thin with starting pitching.


Jeff Samardzija, pitcher.  He is now the ace of the staff.  I don't know what else to say.


Welington Castillo, catcher.  Beef takes over as the starting catcher.  I'm not convinced that he is up to the task.  I hope he proves me wrong.

So, are you fans of other teams scared, intimidated, or otherwise afraid to take on this group?

I didn't think so.

6 comments:

  1. The Mets' starting outfield will give the Cubs a run for their money... Locas Duda, Collin Cowgill and Marlon Byrd. I believe you know Mr. Byrd...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...didn't realize the Mets were that bad. We have a glimmer of hope via Theo. Don't think Wilpon gives Mets fans much hope.

      Delete
  2. I didn't really think about it but I guess I'm a little surprised you were able to find 2013 cards for 7 of the 9 starters. I'm counting Barney over Lillibridge, that's just a fluke thing.

    Not bad, Topps! And nice job on your customs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only wish is less than 100 losses this year. Not high expectations at all. It is the starting pitching that is going to blow most of the games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 97 losses. Don't know why a team that tanks a season is rewarded with high draft picks. If the players themselves tanked the games they would be disciplined.

    ReplyDelete