Monday, January 15, 2024

Small eBay Refunds

Over the past few weeks I've received several emails similar to the one shown above, telling me that I'm getting a small refund.  The email makes no mention of why the refund was coming.  I had made a few purchases from a Canadian seller and thought maybe it was due to the changing exchange rate.

But the emails kept coming.  So I did some googling and found out the likely reason.  

In late April, 2023, Michigan changed the sales tax law and would no longer require tax be paid on shipping costs if the cost was listed separately.  Little notice was given to the change and eBay continued collecting sales tax on the total price including the shipping charge.  

Then sometime in late November or early December eBay became aware of the change and has gradually been return the extra tax paid.

So I am getting my refunds in dribbles but the money is coming back....which means I have some found money to spend on more cards!

Any other Michiganders out there getting the bonus cash too??

1 comment:

  1. Well, that's nice. Here in CT they are more than happy to tax anything and everything for as much as they think they can get away with. Heck, we were the 2nd state to institute the sales tax collection on Internet purchases once it went legal. Enjoy the refund, more cards!

    ReplyDelete