Wednesday, April 10, 2024

The 1980s and 1990s Box Bottom Cubs

 Topps put special versions of some cards on the bottom of retail wax packs boxes from 1986 through 1991.  There are a total of five Cubs cards among those and I picked them up over the past couple of weeks.  

The Topps versions were not difficult or expensive.  Topps' Canadian partner O-Pee-Chee also put cards on the bottoms of their boxes over the same time period.  The OPC cards are more scare and I've opted to not get them right now.  I may later, but not now.

The box cards were always different from the real Topps cards.  A different picture of the player was used on the front.  The backs listed a career milestone the player hit the previous season.  The cards also did not have a number.  Instead, they were given a letter.

Below are the Cubs cards and their backs so you can see what milestone was being acknowledged.











And if you're curious, below I've got the box cards next to their flagship counterpart.  You can see which set got the better picture.

  

   

  

 

 

I give the nod to the box set for the top four and the flagship for the 1991 Dawson.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with all five of your choices for the better picture. I think I've seen or have all but the Ron Cey from '87.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 87T box Cey is awesome! Very nice action shot.

    ReplyDelete