Wednesday, March 11, 2015

A Look at the 1966 Cubs Cards

While I'm waiting for my 2015 Heritage cards to arrive, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the Cubs cards from 1966, the year that Heritage is using.

The 1966 Cubs were a young team in rebuilding mode and they had a new manager, a big name manager.

Does that sound familiar??

Leo Durocher was hired as the Cubs manager for the 1966 season and he was famously quoted as saying that this team is no 8th place team (their 1965 finish).  Leo was right.... the 1966 Cubs finished dead last in tenth place!  I hope Joe Maddon has more success in his first season.




Banks, Santo, and Williams were the stars of the team.




Some of the other '69 Cubs were just beginning to arrive.

And then there were a bunch of guys that were just...

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

...taking up space on the roster.  By the 1968 season almost every one of these guys was gone.  Leo didn't have much patience.

Hopefully Maddon has a bit more patience and a lot more success!!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are some mugs. That's a nice looking year though, aesthetically speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of my favorite sets. Simply, but beautiful. After looking through all of those hat-less photos I've decided I may have to bring the flat top haircut back.

    ReplyDelete