Sunday, March 1, 2015

Five Random Cubs Cards

I've got 13,396 Cubs cards from 104 different brands listed on a spreadsheet. A random number generator picked five cards, one each from the past several decades. 


1900s - 1970s: 1978 SSPC #253 Gene Clines  This card comes from the 1978 SSPC All-Star Gallery Book, Cubs version. The cards were on perforated full sized sheets of card board.  I've left my full sheet intact. 


1980s: 1985 O-Pee-Chee #296 Ryne Sandberg  This comes from the Sandberg player collection.  O-Pee-Chee is one of the major brands that I haven't tried to complete.  I've been relatively uninterested since it would be more like adding a parallel set rather than some cards I haven't seen yet.


1990s: 1991 Star All-Star #32 Ryne Sandberg  Two in a row from the Sandberg collection.   Ryno was very popular with the good folks at Star.  I've got a whopping 175 Sandberg cards from Star.


2000s: 2005 Topps Chrome #202  Carlos Zambrano  Topps showing Big Z batting.  In 2005 he hit .300 right on the nose.  Yet that wasn't good enough to win the Silver Slugger.  Jason Marquis topped him with a .310 average.  Zambrano would eventually win the SS three times, 2006, 2008, and 2009.


2010s: 2014 Allen and Ginter Pastimes #AR Anthony Rizzo  His pastime?  Philanthropist.  "Anthony is a survivor of Hodgkin's lymphoma who takes his message to children's hospitals.  "I have a chance to go out and show kids that, hey, there's a light at the end of the tunnel and keep fighting no matter what and always have fun," says the Cubs slugger."  Rizzo is one of the good guys.

1 comment:

  1. Suits me fine if is Rizzo is the "face of the franchise".

    ReplyDelete