Wednesday, May 24, 2017

All I've Got of Him: Dave Martinez

Here's a look at all I've got of the Cubs' bench coach.

Dave Martinez spent parts of four different seasons with the Cubs.  He was a third round pick of the Cubs in the 1983 draft.  Three years later he made his MLB debut with the Cubs.  He was with them until being traded to the Expos during the 1988 season.  He later returned to the north side for part of the 2000 season.

After his playing days were done he was a coach in the Rays system and eventually landed the bench coach position for Joe Maddon.  When Maddon came to the Cubs, Martinez followed with him.

I really thought that I had more cards of him than I do.  My total is just eleven.  He spans most of the brands of the day, Donruss, Fleer, Score, and Topps, along with a Starting Lineup and Cubs team issued card.


2 comments:

  1. I always thought his situation with the Cubs was really weird. The rumors around why he left and then I was shocked when he came back for a brief stint.

    Not to lend credence to gossip but I'm a little surprised you don't hear about more situations like that in this day and age of social media. Or maybe I just have my head in the sand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bunch of him as an Expo.

    ReplyDelete