Thursday, May 25, 2017

Five Ransom Cubs Cards

No, the title is not a typo.

But it came about because of a typo.  As I was doing a recent Five Random Cubs Cards post I inadvertently typed Ransom instead of Random.  I corrected the mistake but also realized that I do actually have five Ransom cards.






This is Ransom, or Randy Jackson, or Handsome Ransom.  He played third base for the Cubs from 1950 - 1955.  He was an all star twice, in 1954 and 1955.  After the '55 season, the Cubs sold high and traded him to the Dodgers.  He never repeated the success he had with the Cubs and was out of baseball by the end of the 1959 season.

Bowman included Jackson in three sets but Topps only had him once.  This was the era of contracts with one company or the other and it looks like Jackson was a Bowman man.

1 comment:

  1. Ransom? And I thought first names these days were weird.

    ReplyDelete