Monday, October 22, 2018

Varied Colors - 1975

The 1975 set was the last big hurrah for varied colors for a long time.  It wouldn't be until 1990 that we'd see it again.  And if it was going to disappear for a while, it went out with a bang.

Topps used a rainbow of colors for the top and bottom of the matte.  There were thirteen different combinations on the Cubs cards.  Almost half of the combos were seen just once.  There was a three-way tie for the most common.


My preference for the Cubs would be a red top, blue bottom, and blue team name.  No Cub was given that variation...


...so I created my own.

5 comments:

  1. I knew that there were a few different color combinations in the '75 set... but had no clue there were 13. That's a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Night Owl has a nice blog about the '75 set http://75topps.blogspot.com/ According to his count there are a total of 18 combos for the entire set, the 13 mentioned are just how many the Cubs had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang. That's a lot of combinations. Can't believe it's taken me all of these years to learn that about one of my favorite sets.

      Delete
  3. The green on green and the brown and orange are my least favorite. It's too bad they were two of the more common.

    ReplyDelete