Sunday, February 17, 2019

Five Random Cubs Cards

I've got 16,579 Cubs cards from 193 different brands listed on a spreadsheet. A random number generator picked five cards, one each from the past several decades.




1900s - 1970s: 1964 Topps #175 Billy Williams  The RNG starts things off with a bang!  What a great looking card of Billy taking a swing.  And I've said it before, but I'd love to see the Cubs go back to using the shoulder patch seen in the card.




1980s: 1988 Fleer #420 Leon Durham The 1988 season was the Bull's last with the Cubs.  He was traded to the Reds in May for pitcher Pat Perry.  That show's you how much his career had derailed.  It took Bruce Sutter to get him from the Cardinals and all they could get back for him was Pat Perry.



1990s: 1991 Star Nova #77 Ryne Sandberg I wonder if the picture was taken at the Cubs first spring game in 1990.  Would that explain the bunting in the background.



2000s: 2003 Champions #49 Juan Cruz  This set is being very optimistic calling Cruz a rising star.  The season prior he posted a record of 3-11.  I guess you could consider him rising because there wasn't much more room for him to drop.



2010s: 2012 Topps Factory Team Set #CHC1 Starlin Castro This card was hot stuff in 2012 when Starlin Castro was the first of what we hoped would be many young stars leading the Cubs to greatness.




2 comments:

  1. that is a excellent card of billy williams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Billy Williams card. I have one of them myself, and it's one of my favorites of Williams that I own.

    ReplyDelete