Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Jiffy Pop Cubs

Popcorn in one of my all-time favorite snacks.  I have great memories of making popcorn in her popper at my grandma's house.  I also used the pan and shake method while growing up.  Right now I'm an air popper guy.  I love how easy it is, how almost every kernel pops, and that I don't need to use any oil.

I was never a Jiffy Pop person.  It looked cool in the commercials on TV, but the few times I actually used it I ended up with either a burnt batch or a tin full of old maids.  I'll stick to my air popper, thank you.

JIffy Pop joined the baseball card craze in 1986.  For three years they put discs in specially marked packages.  These were put out by MSA, the company that for years put out several discs for a variety of companies.  Like those, these lacked an MLB license and logos.

There were 20 players in each of three Jiffy Pop sets and each time, one of those was a Cub.


I love Jiffy Pop's optimism in calling this the 1st Annual Collectors Edition.  


Their optimism was rewarded in 1987 as a 2nd edition came out, once again including Ryno.


Andre Dawson replaced Sandberg in the 3rd edition.   The third edition was the final edition and Jiffy Popped popped out cards no more.

2 comments:

  1. Like the Jimmy Dean's the other day, I have both Rynos but don't think I've ever seen the Dawson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All three designs are cool in their own unique way... but my favorite would be the 1987 set. Love that they resemble a baseball.

    ReplyDelete