Saturday, June 27, 2020

On the Road, Taking Some Time Off

This will be the last post for several days.  Mrs. WW and I are taking another bike trip vacation and I'm taking a vacation from the blog, too.

This is our third bike trip.  The past two years we did a Michigan trip and a ride along the Erie Canal.  This year we head to Pennsylvania and a ride along the Great Allegheny Passage.


We'll be staring near the eastern continental divide and head northwest to Pittsburgh, covering around 125 miles over four days.  The good news it that gravity will be our friend as we head downhill the whole way.

I look for any Cubs connections on our bike trips.  This year was slim pickings.  The towns we head through are pretty small and I was able to find just one Cubs player born along our path.


Gary Ross is a native of McKeesport.  He pitched a bit for the Cubs in 1968 and 1969 before being traded to the Padres in the Dick Selma trade.  He lost a team-record 11 consecutive decisions for the expansion '69 Padres.

Play nice while I'm gone and I see you in a week or so.

8 comments:

  1. Have a safe and enjoyable trip! If it wasn't so darn hot... I'd hop on my bike and go on some rides myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your vacation and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife and I went on a 19 mile bike ride this past Monday and her posterior has been sore ever since. No way we could make it 125 miles in four days. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took us a couple years before our rears weren’t sore after a ride. Losing weight helped a lot too.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure you have your route mapped out well, but I would not want to bike in Pennsylvania. I don't even like driving in Pa. with all the hills and curves in that state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We’re too old for hilly roads. The trail were riding is an old railroad route... no more than a 1.5% grade, and we are going downhill!

      Delete
  5. Have a fun trip. Hope the weather is nice.

    ReplyDelete