Thursday, August 15, 2024

Shota Imanaga Follows the Rules, but....

 There are plenty of 2024 Shota Imanaga autograph cards available.  The Trading Card Database lists 44 different 2024 autograph cards for him as a Cub.  But I don't have one.  And I don't think that I will for a while.

Price is the problem.  You can always expect higher prices for a Japanese player that comes over to MLB because you now have to compete with collectors from Japan.  This was true back in 2008 when the Cubs signed Koskue Fukudome.   His prices came down within a year as everyone realized that he was not going to be the next Ichiro.

Imanaga got off to a great start in 2024 and made the All-Star team.  That alone would have driven up his prices, but add to that the Japanese angle, and you have very high prices.

Most of his autograph cards are selling well above $100 each.  Those are the auctions.  Some sellers have listed Buy it Now prices at double and triple that.

I started watching some Imanaga auctions at the same time I picked up my autographs of Luke Little and Alexander Canario.  I was hoping that I could sneak in a win at a bargain price.  My hopes were dashed.

I'll keep watching and try for an inexpensive win, but I am doubtful.  It may take a while before I'm able to fill in this rule follower.

1 comment:

  1. The Japan tax is real. Patience is the key. That what I did for guys like Darvish and Maeda. At least Imanaga has signed a reasonable amount of signatures. Guys like Nomo and Matsuzaka didn't sign a lot. So unless Topps eventually gets them to sign (maybe for Archives or something), it's unlikely I'll ever add their signatures to my collection.

    ReplyDelete