Wednesday, January 14, 2009

How Many is Too Many?

I was recently looking through my Topps 1977 set when I came across this cartoon, which was on the back of Tom Hausman, #99.



It makes sense that by 1977, Willie Mays was featured on the most Topps cards. He had a long career, from 1951 - 1973, which coincided with Topps' entry into the baseball card business. Mays' first card was with the 1952 set and his last was with the 1973 set, which makes for 22 regular cards. He was also featured in several All Star, leader, and dual player cards; you could probably come up with another 10-15 cards. His All-Star 22 year career yielded approximately 35-40 cards.

Here are a few from my collection

Topps 1969



Topps 1972 In Action, back in the days when you didn't need to wear your batting helmet when you got on base.



Topps 1973 - his last card, when he was back in New York and looked very old.



If Topps updated the WIllie Mays cartoon, who would hold the title now? And how many cards would it be?

I really admire those of you who collect players rather than team sets like I do. With all of the different brands, parallels, and other gimmicks, you are looking at huge numbers.

Sooz at A Cardboard Problem mentioned over 1,100 different Jeter cards. Wax Heaven's Mario has 110 cards in his Andrew Miller collection (not bad for a guy with only 50 big league games under his belt).

So, back to my original question, how many is too many? Is there a point where collectors will say, enough already! I ask this because I am considering entering the player hunt. I was looking at two young Cubs, either Jeff Smardts.... Samardzzz.. oh heck... Jeff Spellcheck or Geovany Soto as players to collect.

Again, I look forward to hearing your words of wisdom and advice. Your comments, please.

13 comments:

  1. That is why I really like the "vintage" cards, for the cartoons. The '64 Topps actually had a "rub-off". Mantle appears on many card backs as well as Mays. You ask "how many is too many" ? Depends on the size of your closet, cabinet, bookcase, storage supplies or significant others allocation of household space to you. I like the question . . .how about this one: "how much is too much" ? Both can be applied to many . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty much an old-school guy. I'd prefer just one or two cards a year for each player.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can start a player collection nowadays but it's a full time job. When you consider Topps and Upper Deck put out 17 products a year that's at least 34 cards plus all the subsets, parallels, short prints, inserts you could be looking at 50 cards a year for a star player. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's why my Andre Dawson collection ends at 1989. I cannot deal with all of the 'extras' added by the card companies today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "You can start a player collection nowadays but it's a full time job."

    That's what I was afraid of, and that is what has been holding me back. I'd feel like I'm shooting at a moving target trying to get all of that player.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny when those two guys are the most promising young talent the Cubs have seen in a long time and they have relatively few cards out. Meanwhile Kevin Hart and Rich Hill have the market flooded! Look back through your cards and tell me how many Cubs future stars and top prospects have actually gone on to have good careers. Myself, I'm still going full steam with Ryno and started to accumulate more and more Theriot's. Theriot is a solid player and not as well known outside of the Cubs circle. He shouldn't have as many cards to chase as a Soto type. I imagine '09 will be flooded with Soto.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gritz,

    How many Sandberg cards do you have in your collection? Any idea how many are out there?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I collect University of Houston players so I'm usually not collecting superstars.

    Donnie Avery, a UH alum, was the 1st WR taken in the 2008 draft, in the 2nd round. He already has 719 cards/variations in less than a year.

    Compare that too an Antowain Smith. Taken in the 1st round of the 1997 NFL draft. Played 10 years and gained almost 7,000 yards in his career and won 2 Super Bowls. He has 1,295 cards, or almost 130 per year in the league.

    1295 cards is ridiculous, but since Avery already has 719 cards, he may break that 1295 next year.

    It's near impossible collect half of anyone's cards these days, even average rookies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was think this the other day ... I got a Sergei Samsonov autograph card - I check the masterlist to find that he over 40 cards in 1997 alone !

    Even Wayne Gretzky doesn't need 40 cards put out in one year - it's too much.

    That's why I collect vintage up to 1989 - except for sports that only have one or two set a year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe that if you see a card and you LIKE it, you should not fail to add it to your collection. However, buying every card of any player just because someone produces it, well, that could become more like work instead of something you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with AlbuqwirkE - collecting players today feels like work, and you can't get the feeling of completion like in the team pursuits. I like to go after at least one jersey and auto cards of players in Cub uniforms - at least with that I feel like I have a fighting chance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's impossible to collect every card of a player who's career lasted past the mid-90s. If you pick a star, you'll have hundreds of cards to chase every year. If you pick an average player, you probably won't have anything to collect after their rookie year.

    I think the 80s was the most fun time to be a player collector... there were enough sets to allow for some variety, but not so many that it felt overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of the greatest of all time.

    ReplyDelete