Saturday, July 25, 2009

27 Years Later, I Never Knew...

...or if I did, I forgot all about it.

I was surfing around this site, BaseballErrors.com. It is a great resource for finding error and variation cards. I was checking to see if there were any errors that featured Cubs cards and came across this one.



Fleer, 1982 Lee Smith. This was Fleer's second year of production. The first set from 1981 was riddled with errors, but they seem to have gotten their act together in 1982. Look again at the card. Can you find the error? Well, if you can't its because the error was on the back side!



Now look at the back. Back in the day, I must have looked at this card tons of times and I never noticed the error. Have you found it yet?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Check the Cubs logo in the corner of the card. The logo has been flipped horizontally. But because of the symmetry of the design and the letters, its not to easy to detect. I missed it for 27 years! Here is a closer look at it.





According to BaseballErrors.com, Fleer corrected the error. But the two cards I have both are error cards. If any of you have the corrected card, I'd be happy to trade you an error card for it. Let me know

5 comments:

  1. Heh. I'll have to look for that one. I never noticed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you know? I have that error card, too, and never knew it.

    '82 Fleer is riddled with errors, too. There might be just as many as in '81 Fleer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to Baseball Errors there are many more '81 Fleer errors. I guess a couple of the famous '82 Fleer ones (Littlefield, Hrabosky) made it seem like there were a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an extra corrected copy I'd be glad to trade.

    Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it worth anymore by virtue of the error?

    ReplyDelete