Monday, July 6, 2009

Tired Reruns from O-Pee-Chee

In this post I was lamenting the fact that so many Cub cards in Upper Deck Series II featured the same or nearly identical pictures as in Series I.

Well, I've picked up the Cubs team set from O-Pee-Chee and the lazy bums at Upper Deck are at it again.

Check this out:



Ryan Theriot, Upper Deck I & II



Ryan Theriot, O-Pee-Chee. I guess they really like to see him slide.



Rich Harden,
Upper Deck I & II



Rich Harden,
O-Pee-Chee. Same away stadium, same wind up, just cropped a little tighter.



Ted Lilly, Upper Deck I & II



Ted Lilly
, O-Pee-Chee. It's the same early spring game - brown ivy in all three cards.


And a couple of the card feature pictures from the same studio shoot as in Series II



Milton Bradley, Series II



Milton Bradley, O-Pee-Chee



Kevin Gregg, Series II



Kevin Gregg, O-Pee-Chee


Hey, Upper Deck, if you're going to put out a different line, then use different shots!

6 comments:

  1. Now that I have a good amount of exposure to both sets (just started collecting recently) this just goes to confirm my thoughts about Upper Deck. I do like the Goudey series, but O Pee Chee just falls flat, and the Flagship just seems over glossy and unoriginal. But seeing them side by side like this is just a horrible cop out for Upper Deck. Nice research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree. I too knew nothing of Upper Deck until I got got back into collecting about a year and a half ago, and UD does nothing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Upper Deck has a number of issues that Topps doesn't. But I do like O-Pee-Chee. It's got an old-school feel and it's much better than the flagship set. I don't like this year's Goudey at all.

    Your photos confirm something that I've thought for a while but never been able to do: commit to ONE set for each card company.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 100% Was having this exact same discussion with my brother the ohter day. It's lazy and not good enough for the punters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the breakdown--I see no need to collect both Cubs sets (or either, if you are a Topps enthusiast).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly why I refuse to ever spend good money on Upper Deck products.

    I know that prices are driven up by low supply and high demand, and I realize that baseball cards are really just photo editing jobs on cardboard, but why should I spend $10 for a pack of one product when I can get the SAME EXACT PICTURE out of a $1 pack of First Edition??? What do I care if a card is glossy or not? They all look the same in album sheets...

    ReplyDelete