Friday, April 8, 2016

A Post Post

In the comments of the post on Marketside cards, it was pointed out that Topps and Post did a set together in 2002.  That was news to me, so I did some poking around.

I have all the original Post cards from the early 1960s.  Those are great cards.

I didn't have any of the Post cards from their second go-around in the early '90s and early '00s.  The 90s cards were licensed only by the players, so they are logoless.  That may have been my reason for staying away.

But the cards from the '00s were licensed by both MLB and the players.  In fact, they were done in concert with Topps ('01 and '02) and Upper Deck ('03).

With all of that now known, I decided I might as well have a complete run of Post.  It was off to Sportlots.  There were a total of 11 cards and I was able to get them through three sellers.  My Sportlots quest is always to find the way to get the cards with the fewest number of sellers.

It took only a week from placing the order to have all 11 in hand:

 

1990 - Mark Grace and Ryne Sandberg
 
 

1991 - Repeat


1992 - Ryno only


1993 - Repeat


1994 - Ryno retires, Grace replaces


2001 - Ernie Banks 500 HR Club


2002 - Sammy Sosa

 

2003 - Sammy Sosa, base and MVP

2 comments:

  1. Don't think I own any of those early 2000's Post cards. Might look into picking up the 500 HR set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love oddball sets so these are fun to see. You can also clearly see the evolution in graphic design and technology from the head shot/bat on shoulders/crude airbrushing photos of the 1990 cards to the immediate leap forward to nice graphics and action photos in the 1993 and 1994 cards after the arrival of Upper Deck.

    ReplyDelete