Monday, April 4, 2016

It's Opening Day 2016!

And away we go!!!  Let's prove those Vegas oddsmakers to be geniuses!

The Cubs open the season on the road against the Angels,.  I like them starting out west, with the warm California weather.  What I don't like is the Pacific time zone, especially with a night game.  They'll be starting at 10:00 here in Michigan.  Luckily this week is spring break, so I can stay up late to watch the game.

To celebrate the Cubs opening day, I've got their all time opening day lineup. The lineup features a majority of the players from the '60's and later. That seems odd to me, considering the long history of the Cubs. In fact, of the entire lineup, I have seen all but three (Hartnett, Grimm and Pafko) of them play (and I'm not that old).

Here's what I did to pick the cards shown (when possible):  This is Arrieta's first Opening Day start, so I've got the card from the season of Fergie's first Opening Day start.  I could do the same with Grace, Sandberg, Dunston, Santo, Williams, and Sosa.  I've also got the opening day count for today's Cubs lineup.



Pitcher: Fergie Jenkins, 7 Opening Day starts
Jake Arrieta is making his first start today.



Catcher: Gabby Hartnett, 12 starts
Miguel Montero is making his first Opening Day start

  

First Base (since 1900): Charlie Grimm and Mark Grace, 12 starts
Anthony Rizzo makes his fourth opening day start.


Second Base: Ryne Sandberg, 13 starts 
Ben Zobrist makes his first opening day start.



Shortstop: Shawon Dunston, 11 starts
Addison Russell is making his first start




Third Base: Ron Santo, 13 starts
Kris Bryant makes his first opening day start



Left Field: Billy Williams, 10 starts
Kyle Schwarber is making his first opening day start.




Center Field (since 1900): Andy Pafko, 7 starts
Dexter Fowler makes his second opening day start



Right Field: Sammy Sosa, 12 starts
Jason Heyward is the starting right fielder for the first time

2 comments:

  1. Feels like last week I was at the wild card game in Pittsburgh but a long winter at the same time. Let's Go Cubs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That seems like a lot of "firsts" for a team headed to the World Series.

    ReplyDelete