Tuesday, March 9, 2021

2021 Topps Cubs Cards

It took just 13 days for the package that Brentandbecca sent to me 2-day priority to arrive.  I guess I should be happy it arrived at all!

The package contained all of my 2021 Topps Cubs cards along with my complete set of Series 1.  I'll spend the next several days reviewing the contents.

Kicking things off are the Cubs from the base set.  I've already bemoaned the fact that the names and positions are hard to read based on the one card I previously had in hand.  It seems ever worse now that I have a stack of cards.  I know my eyes are bad, but sheesh, even those of you with 20/20 peepers are going to have a tough time.

There are 12 Cubs cards among the 330 cards in Series 1.  I previously showed the photo variation card for Mr. Cub.  

 

That card is #4, sharing that slot in the set with David Bote.  Yes, David Bote.  It is not very often that we speak of Ernie Banks and David Bote in the same sentence.

 

Of the 11 current players, almost half, five of the eleven, are not with the Cubs any longer.  Yikes, that is not good.

 

 

That leaves just six cards for current Cubs, these five plus the previously shown Bote.  Of the six that are still with the team, none are pitchers.  No starters, stoppers, or middle inning guys, no nothing.  That is what makes me really nervous about the 2021 season, pitching, or lack thereof.

4 comments:

  1. Hopefully the Cubbies will have a better year than Topps and its 2021 Flagship set. No Desire to collect these horrid looking cards

    ReplyDelete
  2. The razor blade design is tough to get behind. Sometimes it works well, like the Almora card, but I don't like when they intersect with the body... Yu's head is a good example.
    I don't know how the pitching is going to shake out. I've heard good things about Shelby Miller this spring and I'm very curious about Trevor Williams. The bullpen may not be atrocious. If the 2021 season gives us anything on the pitching side, then I hope it's clarity on what kind of MLB pitcher Adbert Alzolay is. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete