Monday, July 3, 2023

Autographed Cards of the 1977 Cubs

 No suspense at all.... I told you in the title the team I've been chasing.  It's the 1977 Cubs.

In October, 1976, Jim Marshall was fired as manager after two and a half dismal seasons under his leadership. He was replaced by someone who hadn't managed in the big leagues in nine years.

Rick Monday and BIll Madlock, arguably the two best hitters on the team, were traded.  There were no prospects in the minor league system that would be of any help.  The outlook for 1977 was bleak.

Yet, on June 28, the team was 25 games over .500 and led the NL East by 8½ games.  Excitement was back on the north side. The Chicago Daily News nicknamed the team "The Little Blue Machine."

And then it all came crashing down.  They were 1-7 over the next week and the lead was down to 3 games.  Bruce Sutter got hurt and  things got even worse.  

They managed to hang on until dropping into second place on August 7.  By the time the season was over, the Cubs were a fourth place team, finishing at .500 with 81 wins.  That means that from June 29 to the end of the season, they posted a record of 34-59, which was the worst in the National League.

I previously had five autographs from this team in my collection.  Four were certified and one was bought off of eBay.  That left me the four I got TTM and the two others I had to buy.  All came pretty easily, allowing me to present to you the 1977 Cubs.





6 comments:

  1. What a fun project to finish!
    The signatures are just outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I have autographs of all the 1977 Dodgers, including all 5 starting pitchers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While my memory was off. I always thought the Cubs were close to the top in the summer 1976 but they were not. It was 1977. I must have comingled Monday's 32 HR and Madlock batting title (in 1976) with the 1977 season (Heck Monday and Madlock were gone in 1977). I remember them being in first place on the 4th of July but I always thought that was the bicentennial year but it really was the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the completion! I missed the reason why you wanted to get the 1977 lineup though

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this season! 2 trivia bits...
    1. Two players were on the Cubs before 1969! Randy Hundley and Ramon Hernandez.
    2. Both 77 and 69 teams had OFers who were LA Angels pitchers! Willie Smith and Bobby Darwin.

    ReplyDelete