Thursday, July 27, 2023

Knocked Off Three More!

 I haven't even left for the National yet and I'm knocking cards off of my most wanted list.



These three came together in a lot.  They are all three Cubs cards from TCMA's fake 1948 set that they made in 1985.  I needed all three and the seller had them bundled together.  I paid about two bucks each, which I consider to be a bargain when picking up most-wanted cards.

Andy Pafko is the name that would be most-recognized.   Jess Dobernic is a big "Who?"

Eddie Waitkus is a name you might not be familiar with, but do you know the name Roy Hobbs?  Because The Natural's Roy Hobbes is loosely based on Eddie Waitkus.  Waitkus played with the Cubs from 1941-1948 and was traded to the Phillies for the 1949 season.  In June of 1949, while in Chicago with the Phillies, he was shot at the team hotel by a female fan who had an obsession with him.  He missed the remainder of the season recovering, but then went on to play for another six seasons with the Phillies and later the Orioles.

3 comments:

  1. Great finds and a great deal. Congrats! Also, thanks for the summary on Waitkus... I knew the name for some reason but couldn't remember why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognized Waitkus... but couldn't pinpoint how I knew the name. Thanks for making the Hobbs connection.

    ReplyDelete