Saturday, November 25, 2023

Eighties Alphabetically - 3D

 Here we go, looking at my 1980s Cubs cards from 94 different brands.

I guess numbers come before letters when alphabetizing, so we kick this off with Topps 3-D.  Sets were issued in both 1985 and 1986, but there were Cubs in just the 1985 set.

The cards aren't really cards.  They are formed plastic sheets, raised to give the card a 3-D effect.

It's not easy to see the 3-D effect on the front side, but looking at the backs,

it becomes pretty obvious.

The cards are larger that usual, 4.25" x 6", and are not easy to store because of the 3-D effect.  I'm glad that this idea didn't stick around for very long.

5 comments:

  1. I have the Sandberg, but have never seen the Sutcliffe before. You're right, these aren't easy to store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love oddball issues like this one. I have the 1985 Rickey Henderson hanging up in my office. I opened a few packs of these (both 85 and 86) and agree that these are a pain to store. In fact, not only are they large (compared to standard cards) they also don't stack easily b/c each player card is embossed differently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've still never seen one in person, but they always look a bit weird on the blogs.

    ReplyDelete