I spent some time this weekend playing around with Blogger. They finally forced the new dashboard on me, so I figured I'd see what's different.
I've wanted to change the layout a bit for a while now, and then I saw the new Blogger design templates, and they were very easy to work with. First, I changed the ivy picture that wraps the blog. The photo I used had the "355" marker on it (the left field wall distance) and I tried to get that to show up on the left sidebar and then I added a "353" (right field distance) for the right hand side. But I could never get them to line up properly, so I cropped them out. All that's left is the ivy.
The new layout I chose gave me the chance to widen the text area. I never liked that my old layout wouldn't allow me to show two medium sized cards side by side.
Now I can!
I kept the text background the same light yellow used with the old layout. I looked hard and long at a plain white background, but in the end it seemed too bright. I'm not sure about the yellow, but it does make the text easier to read than the white.
I also went back to the original banner image, with the marquee shown as it is instead of against a brick wall. By default, Blogger left justifies a header image. It didn't look good that way, so I hunted around the net for a bit and found a way to center the image.
I may continue to tinker with things a bit. Let me know what you think, what you like, what you don't, etc.
As far as writing with the new Blogger, I'm still getting used to it.
Things I like...
- Scheduling a post is easier to do; I like seeing the calendar to set the date...and hopefully they'll get the scheduling bug fixed. As of today its still not fixed and I had to manually post this.
- Keyboard shortcuts for bold, Italics, and underline just like in Word
- The writing area is wider now. I never understood why the old dashboard had such a small writing space
- Being able to add multiple images from a file at once, and more than five images at a time. That could become a huge time saver
- The preview feature that shows you exactly what the post will look like
- Images! With the old dashboard and only in Firefox I could change the size of an image by dragging the corner. I can't do that anymore
- Images! I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get them to the left side. Right now, they come in centered. I then right click on the picture and change it to left, but then the text wraps around the picture. So then I have to cut the text and paste it under the picture. I'm sure I'll figure out what I'm doing wrong, but for now its wasting my time with these extra steps.
- Title names don't autotype any more. I often use the same title or a variation of an old one, and it was nice to have the old titles show up when I started typing.
- I'm getting some extra space in between paragraphs. You can see it in yesterday's post. The odd thing is that the extra space was not there when I wrote the post. I have no idea where it came from.
How are the rest of you faring with the new Blogger? Any other likes / dislikes / tips??