Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Saved the Best For Last

I have just one series two Cubs insert left to show and it is the best, at least to me.


Billy is the lone Cub among the fifty players in this set that made an instant impact.  Winning the 1961 Rookie of the Year makes it hard to argue that he didn't have an instant impact.  

It's shocking, though, that Kris Bryant wasn't on the checklist.  He too was a Rookie of the Year, and he also was an All Star his rookie year.  Topps always keeps you guessing, don't they.  Keeps me scratching my head, too.

The set has several parallels and I'll be chasing them for the Billy Williams collection.  Stay tuned for more.

2 comments:

  1. Well, Williams did get the RoY in his THIRD year in the majors so it's a stretch of the meaning of the word 'instant' here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they could only pick one, I'm glad that Topps chose Williams over Bryant. But I gotta admit, I'm pretty surprised wit their decision.

    ReplyDelete