Wednesday, October 30, 2019

1996 Fleer Metal Universe Cubs

In 1992 the sportcard craze was in full swing.  Cards were being produced by the boatload.  Everyone was looking to make big money.

Everyone included Marvel Entertainment Group.  Looking to expand past comic books, Marvel bought Fleer.  They paid $370,000,000 for the card company. 

Marvel picked the wrong time to get into sports cards.  The 1994 baseball strike burst the card bubble and by 1996 Marvel filed for bankruptcy.  The sold Fleer, which would soon die.  Marvel branched into other entertainment areas and in 2009 was sold to Disney for $4.24 billion dollars.

During the time that Marvel owned Fleer, they used some of their comic artists to create the Metal Universe set.  It debuted in 1996.

The set consists of 250 cards. Each one has a unique and funky background.  The artist drew the background to compliment the player.  The cards also have a foil finish, giving them a metal-like look.

The set includes nine Cubs. The big names of the 1996 team, Grace, Sandberg, and Sosa were included.  The other six were Frank Castillo, Shawon Dunston, Luis Gonzalez, Brian McRae, Jaime Navarro, and Rey Sanchez.

I've made the cards larger than usual so you can get a good look at the funky backgounds.










2 comments:

  1. I go back and forth with the Metal Universe card lines. Sometimes I love them. Other times it's a bit too much. I'd say the last five years or so... I've been into them. It'd be cool to bust a box of this stuff one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Metal Universe complete set in my collection. Overall, I love 'em.
    They are best viewed in bright light if you ask me. Lost of shine and sparkle!

    ReplyDelete