Friday, July 10, 2020

1982 Big League Collectibles

A company called Big League Collectibles put out four different sets between 1982 and 1985.  I find the timing interesting because this was just before baseball cards really took off.  Donruss and Fleer were just getting started and the market wasn't flooded yet. 

I couldn't find anythings on the Big League Collectibles company.  I have not idea who ran the company or where it was located.  All I know is that they released four different sets.

The 1982 set was called Diamond Classics.  It consists of 55 players and a checklist.  As you might surmise from the set's name, none of the players were active.  In fact, most were from the 20's through the 50's..

The cards are on a heavier stock of cardboard and have a painted portrait of the player.  The width of the cards is the standard 2½" but the height is ¼" taller, 3¾". 


The set was limited to a run of 10,000 and each set included a numbered header card.

Just two of the 55 Diamond Classics are Cubs.

 

On the left if Kiki Cuyler and Hack Wilson is on the right.

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of these. Taller cards are a bummer in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the taller ones either. I've got to store them in 8 pocket sheets, which means the cards are sideways. Yuk

      Delete
  2. That Hack Wilson photo (portrait?) is awful. Never heard of these before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never seen or heard of these before. That's pretty cool that they serial numbered each set. 10,000 was pretty limited for that era.

    ReplyDelete