Friday, July 22, 2011

Allen and Ginter Complete Set!

Since the Cubs are my primary focus, I don't get too many complete sets. The Topps flagship set is one. Allen and Ginter is the other.

When I got back into collecting in 2008, Ginter and Heritage were the two "new" sets that really caught my attention. GInter was only in it's third year, so that made it easy to go back and get the missing sets, and then each year I've added the newest.

My 2011 Ginter set came yesterday. We're getting ready to go on vacation, so I had to scramble to get the cards in the binder before we hit the road. I wasn't going to let them sit in a box at home while I was away.

I already critiqued the design when I showed the Cubs cards, so no need to rehash that. I do want to second what Night Owl said about the cards with a horizontal design.....no more, please! I couldn't agree with him more. They look even worse in a binder when you've got these nice portrait cards, and then a horizontal action card shows up. It looks really out of place.

I put my checklists together, one by name and the other by team. According to my count, the winning team is the Red Sox, with 14 players. The loser: the Mariners, with only five.

There are 44 champion cards in the set this year. One change is that all of the champions are people; no inanimate objects like Area 15, the electron, or the Golden Gate Bridge.

The champion I picked to show is....



....Guy Fieri. Mrs. WW really likes watching Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. We have been to one of the featured diners in Goshen, Indiana, which was about a 45 minute drive from our house. The food was pretty good! We may try to hit a few more while we are on vacation.

I've also got posted scheduled while we're on the road, so you don't have to worry about missing your daily fix.

1 comment: