Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Couple Non-Action Lineage Cards

Yesterday I looked at my favorite retirees from Lineage. Most were action cards. Today, I've got a couple more, but they are non action cards. And both cards have Cubs connections.

Here is the Lineage card of Tony Perez.



If you look in the background, you will notice that the picture was taken at Wrigley Field. The card should also have a somewhat familiar look to it.



This is Perez' card from the '69 Topps set. If I was a betting man, I would say that both cards have pictures from the same photo shoot. The Topps photographer was busy with the Reds at Wrigley in 1967. I wrote about that here.



This Lineage card of Fergie Jenkins is the other one I'd like to talk about. The uniform tells me the picture was taken in 1972. Fergie is at Shea Stadium and I would guess that this was early in the season. Why?



Here is the Topps card from the 1973 set. Same 1972 uniform as above, and back at Shea, but notice that Fergie has a mustache and more hair. I'm assuming that as the season moved along, Fergie let his hair grow out and grew the 'stache.

The mustache history is interesting, but I wish that Topps found an action shot of Fergie instead of the crummy posed follow-through that they used.

No comments:

Post a Comment