Wednesday, March 22, 2023

1989 Cubs Autographs

 I picked up autographed cards of two of the 1989 Boys of Zimmer at a card show a week ago Saturday.   In the post on the cards I mentioned that I had signed cards from most of the team's lineup.  After a quick review I found that I was missing just two players, Vance Law and Damon Berryhill.

 

Not any more!

The cost was less than five bucks each.  

When I go for the autographs from a particular team, I get the starting eight fielders, the best starter and reliever, and the manager.  I've done that with the 1969 and 1984 teams, but on baseballs, not cards.  And with the 2016 team I went for every player that was on the World Series roster.  That makes the 1989 team my first 11-card squad.

In the outfield we have Dwight Smith, Jerome Walton, and Andre Dawson.  The infield, third to first, is Vance Law, Shawon Dunston, Ryne Sandberg, and Mark Grace.  Damon Berryhill is behind the plate while Greg Maddux and Mitch Williams were the top starter and reliever.  Don Zimmer managed the team.

Only five of the eleven are certified autographs.  The only on-card signature that may be questionable is Greg Maddux.  The card did come with a certificate of authenticity, but many of those aren't worth the paper that they're printed on.

3 comments:

  1. Maddux signed a ton TTM in the late 80s/early 90s. That looks like the ones I received from him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So there is hope that it is real! Thanks for the info.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a post-1990 Maddux sig to me

    ReplyDelete