Sunday, April 5, 2015

It's Opening Day!

 I wrote this post on Saturday night.  The Cubs haven't announced their lineup for Opening Day, so I'm making my best guess as to what it will be.

To celebrate the Cubs opening day, I've got their all time opening day lineup. The lineup features a majority of the players from the '60's and later. That seems odd to me, considering the long history of the Cubs. In fact, of the entire lineup, I have seen all but three (Hartnett, Grimm and Pafko) of them play (and I'm not that old).

Here's what I did to pick the cards shown (when possible):  This is Lester's first Opening Day start, so I've got the card from the season of Fergie's first Opening Day start.  I could do the same with Grace, Sandberg, Dunston, Santo, Williams, and Sosa.  I've also got the opening day count for today's Cubs lineup.


Pitcher: Fergie Jenkins, 7 Opening Day starts
Jon Lester is making his first start today.



Catcher: Gabby Hartnett, 12 starts
David Ross is making his first Opening Day start

 

First Base (since 1900): Charlie Grimm and Mark Grace, 12 starts
Anthony Rizzo makes his third opening day start.


Second Base: Ryne Sandberg, 13 starts 
Tommy La Stella makes his first opening day start.



Shortstop: Shawon Dunston, 11 starts
Starlin Castro is making his fifth start




Third Base: Ron Santo, 13 starts
Mike Olt makes his second opening day start



Left Field: Billy Williams, 10 starts
Chris Coghlan is making his first opening day start.




Center Field (since 1900): Andy Pafko, 7 starts
Dexter Fowler makes his first opening day start


Right Field: Sammy Sosa, 12 starts
Jorge Soler is the starting right fielder for the first time

No comments:

Post a Comment