Sunday, May 12, 2019

Five Random Cubs Cards

I've got 16,801 Cubs cards from 198 different brands listed on a spreadsheet. A random number generator picked five cards, one each from the past several decades.




1900s - 1970s: 1977 Topps #419 Steve Swisher  Swisher and his .236 average made the All Star team in 1976.  It was a mercy selection, since each team needed at least one player and the NL needed another catcher.  His 1977 season saw his average drop to just .190.  He didn't make the All Star team.  The Cubs traded him to the Cardinals after the season, too.




1980s: 1988 Topps Traded #56 Darrin Jackson This would be the rookie card for the future White Sox broadcaster.  I am so happy that the Cubs have Pat Hughes and Ron Coomer on the radio.  They are so much better than the Sox radio duo of Ed Farmer and Darrin Jackson.



1990s: 1997 Pinnacle Certified #4 Ryne Sandberg  The card has a protective sheet that says "Peel Off."  I didn't.



2000s: 2001 Topps Chrome #260 Don Baylor This chrome card comes from the days when a chrome version was made for every card in the base set.  The Cubs had 23 more wins in '01 compared to '02 so kudos to Baylor for that.  But the next year they digressed and Baylor was canned after 83 games.



2010s: 2017 Topps Salute #32 Jake Arrieta I miss Jake.  That is all.




2 comments:

  1. Pat and Ron are almost like my second family. I love when "Chicago Cubs baseball is on the air!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot that Baylor managed the Cubs. When I think of him as a manager... I think of his time in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete